The Society of Professional Journalists’ Florida Professional Chapter is looking for dedicated members interested in running for the board. We are now accepting nominations to fill positions on the 2018-2019 chapter board. You may nominate yourself or others.
To be eligible to serve, candidates must:
- Be SPJ professional members in good standing (if running as a student, must be a student member in good standing).
- Work or reside in the chapter’s service area (Florida).
- Be available to attend chapter events and board meetings every other month in person or remote. Board meetings are usually held on weekday evenings in Boca Raton or Fort Lauderdale.
The chapter board consists of the following positions, all of which are open for a one-year term effective immediately (Aug. 1, 2018 – July 30, 2019).
- Executive Vice President
- Vice President for Membership
- Vice President for Programming
- Six (6) Directors at Large
- Student Member
The immediate past president (Dori Zinn) also serves on the board, bringing the total board count to 14. Review the chapter constitution and bylaws to learn more about chapter operations, the nomination and election process, and the duties of those elected to the board. See the current board.
To nominate yourself or others, please send an email including the nominee’s name, the desired board seat, short bio and resume to Immediate Past President Dori Zinn by 11:59 p.m. on June 25.
The nominating chair will confirm each candidate’s eligibility to serve and submit an official slate to chapter members by Thursday, July 5.
The chapter’s annual election meeting is scheduled for the evening of Saturday, Aug. 4, following the Sunshine State Awards in Miami. The election will take place immediately following the awards. Location to be announced.
The election shall be by simple majority vote of eligible chapter members, cast by ballot either in person and/or through electronic means before the in-person vote takes place. Ballot information will be announced when the nominating slate is released.
If your membership has lapsed or will end before the election, renew online.