The Society of Professional Journalists is a national organization dedicated to the perpetuation of a free press as the cornerstone of our nation and our liberty.
SPJ Florida does this by:
- Upgrading the journalistic profession wherever possible throughout Florida.
- Assisting Florida high schools in strengthening their journalism classes and courses.
- Cooperating with and assisting colleges and universities in developing strong journalism schools and departments.
- Growing a scholarship fund.
- Encouraging diversity among journalists and developing a profession that is representative of the public it serves.
- Informing and educating the public on issues concerning freedom of the press, freedom of speech, and speaking out on such issues.
- Encouraging freedom of information and preserving and protecting public access to its government.
- Supporting journalists fighting to maintain the First Amendment, the public’s access to government, and the public’s right to know.
- Supporting and encouraging professional development and continuing education of journalists.