SPJ SoFla Sponsors First Amendment Foundation Sunshine Seminar October 16
Time is running out to register for this year’s Sunshine Seminar presented by the First Amendment Foundation. SPJ South Florida is sponsoring the event on October 16 in Deerfield Beach and SPJ members receive a discounted price of $10. Make sure you to put “SPJ South Florida” in the membership box when you register.
Each year the First Amendment Foundation offers a series of one day training seminars. These Sunshine Seminars provide an overview of Florida’s public records and public meetings requirements in an informative and interactive format. The seminars are helpful for anyone who uses public records as well as for agency employees who are required to stay current on the law.
The schedule break down is as follows:
- 8:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. – Registration
- 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. – Florida’s Government-in-the-Sunshine Laws: Open Meetings and Public Records by Barbara Petersen, President, First Amendment Foundation
- 12:00 p.m. – 1:15 p.m. – Lunch (on your own)
- 1:15 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. – Florida Media Law Presentation by Members of the Florida Bar Media & Communications Committee
The cost is $10 for FAF and SPJ members; $25 for non-members; $10 for students; and $15 for League of Women Voters.
Seminars will also be held in:
- Fort Walton – Sept. 18, 2012
- Tallahassee – Sept. 19, 2012
- Jacksonville – Sept. 20, 2012
- Lakeland – Oct. 10, 2012
- Port Charlotte – Oct. 11, 2012
- Melbourne – Oct. 15, 2012
- Deerfield Beach on October 16.
The First Amendment Foundation is a private, non-partisan, non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the public’s constitutional right to oversee its government through Florida’s Sunshine and Public Records Law. Acting as the public’s advocate, the Foundation provides a variety of services to citizens, government officials, and the media.