Observer Media Group (Full Time)
We are looking for a page designer who doesn’t just layout pages — he or she is interested in creating a design that marries images and text in a way that helps tell the story while engaging readers visually.
The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of the print and newspaper industry, and must be well versed in visual storytelling. We are a collaborative newsroom with editors, reporters and designers all working together to find creative solutions to presenting news stories. We welcome out-of-the-box thinkers who can conceptualize and illustrate a story. Want to see what we mean? Check out our print editions here.
Candidate must be a self-starter who can work independently, but who also enjoys being part of a young, energetic team. The candidate should also have strong organizational skills, be able to work quickly and accurately under daily deadline pressure and be able to juggle multiple projects at once, all while injecting creativity into his or her designs.
• Design all components of weekly newspapers, including Page A1, features, opinion and sports pages; designer is also responsible for numerous special sections a year
• Help upload content to our website, YourObserver.com and social media accounts; upload and convert print stories, graphics and maps to digital platforms
• Upload PDFs to the printer as needed
• Make sure daily deadlines for producing pages are met
Email a resume, cover letter and 3-5 design clips to Executive Editor Kat Hughes at email@example.com. Please put “Designer” in your subject line. No phone calls please.
• Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign and Photoshop
• Proficiency with Mac OS X operating systems
• Experience with informational graphics and Illustrator a plus
• Must have a penchant for clean, organized, sophisticated page design and strong attention to detail; a solid understanding of typography, photography and layout is imperative
• Ability to meet daily deadlines; must work well under pressure
Location: Sarasota, Florida