Higher Education/General Assignment Reporter
Miami Herald (Full Time)
Reports to education editor in addition to general assignment shifts on the CND.
South Florida is home to some of the largest and most influential colleges and universities in the south, from state institutions (FIU, Miami-Dade College, Broward College, FAU) to private (UM, Florida Memorial, Barry, St. Thomas, NSU). Taken together, they are major centers of employment and thought in the region.
We are looking for an aggressive journalist who can unearth exclusive, news-breaking reporting on everything from campus trends to groundbreaking research to authoritative guides that help parents and prospective students figure out how to get into the college they want as well as how to pay for it.
The reporter in this beat will need to move fast on breaking news while producing pieces that capture trends.
We also envision this reporter working two days a week on regular general assignment work, on both quick and long-term stories from the CND.
This is a full-time position that includes weekends, nights and holidays. The most likely schedule will include a weekend shift. It requires working from office. The person in this role will create daily stories, videos, and enterprise for miamiherald.com and miami.com and engage with audience through all of our social media channels.
The ideal candidate will proactively self-assign stories and handle assignments as needed. He/she should be an idea generator with strong social roots and a deep knowledge of South Florida who can identify and include impacted people in stories. He/she should be able to work traditional sources as well as social media and analytics to identify the stories people are talking about or will be talking about.
This is a Reporter 2 or Reporter 3 position and non-exempt, which means you will be eligible for overtime.
In addition to traditional reporting and writing, you need to:
– Select stories with an eye for audience engagement and traffic
– Monitor trending topics from social media to inform editorial decisions
– Manage photos, headlines, links, SEO and story packaging for publishing on MiamiHerald.com
– Aggregate content from third-party sources using related links, photo galleries, and videos
– Post at least one story every work day and work to achieve the newsroom annual medians of 400,000 local page views and/or 1.6 million page views overall
– Bring fresh ideas to daily content creation and social media promotion
– Engage with readers on social media platforms
– Monitor competitive web sites and social media in your coverage area and personal areas of interest
– 2 years of writing experience in a news organization
– Background in education preferred, local reporting a plus
– A good feel for audience interest and trends
– Fresh writing style in an engaging, conversational voice
– Comfort with video, basic video editing, photography, Microsoft Word and Excel or other word-processing and spreadsheet programs
– Team player who works collaboratively
Location: Doral, Florida