Panel Discussion on Diversity Issues
Please mark your calendar for Wednesday, Oct. 29, the date of SFBJA’s next media workshop, which will take the form of a panel discussion on media diversity issues.
We’ll focus on diversity in the media and sensitivity in the portrayal of minorities, with an emphasis on the Miami Herald’s recent front-page photos from Haiti following Hurricane Ike. We’ll contrast the images used with the ones that weren’t and get a lively discussion going from a variety of viewpoints. We’ll also touch on the recent spate of layoffs and ways to continue nurturing diversity in newsrooms in spite of the cutbacks.
The discussion will be moderated by Tamara G of 97.3 FM The Coast, and confirmed panelists include:
* John Yearwood, World Editor, Miami Herald, and former NABJ national treasurer
* Yvette Miley, News Director, NBC6
* Winston Barnes, Deputy Mayor of the City of Miramar
* Macollvie Jean-Francois, Reporter, South Florida Sun Sentinel
* Eddie Dominguez, Daily Business Review
Here’s what you need to know to get there:
Date: Wednesday, Oct. 29
Time: Networking 6:30-7 p.m.; Discussion starts promptly at 7
Where: South Regional/Broward College Library, 7300 Pines Blvd., Pembroke Pines
Please spread the word, and we look forward to seeing you there!
Khari Williams, Vice President of Print