Run for a Spot on the 2020-2021 SPJ Florida Board
It’s almost time for SPJ Florida to host its annual board elections — and we want you to run. Our programming and advocacy has earned us the title of Society of Professional Journalists’ Chapter of the Year five times in the last 11 years!
How did we do it? Our members asked for out-of-the-box ideas and we delivered, with journalism training incorporated into interactive games and lively networking events — all while advocating for journalists and emphasizing media literacy education for news consumers.
Though a global pandemic cancelled a slate of planned events — like our media literacy program, the Fake News Game Show — we pivoted to fit the needs of our membership, hosting virtual versions and digital programs, including free webinars on how to start your own podcast and how to unionize your newsroom.
When half our board members were laid off or furloughed, we documented the gaps layoffs left in community coverage in our Florida Furlough Chronicles.
And we sold T-shirts and started a Hand Up Fund to financially support other laid-off and furloughed journalists across the state.
With the future of journalism always uncertain, SPJ Florida needs strong leadership to continue to offer workshops and help struggling newsrooms.
If protecting the Fourth Estate is your calling, join us!
To serve on the board, you must:
- Be a member of the Society of Professional Journalists in good standing (not a member yet? Join!)
- Attend our board meetings, which are hosted every other month, either in person or virtually. Our bylaws state that a member who misses three meetings in a row can be voted off the board.
- Have a passion for journalism — our board members have been in print, digital, television, radio, freelancers, journalism/media teachers, retired journalists, college students, First Amendment advocates and more.
Positions on the board:
- Past-president (not an elected post)
- Vice President
- Vice President of Programming
- Vice President of Membership
- Board of directors (six positions)
- Student representative
Details on the election, including the date and method for voting, will be announced soon. All chapter members in good standing are welcome to run and vote in the election.
If you would like to run for a position on the board, we’d love to hear from you. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your intention to run, a short bio and headshot by Aug. 29.