Run for a Spot on the 2019-2020 SPJ Florida Board
With the Sunshine State Awards comes elections for the new SPJ Florida board. Our programming and advocacy has earned us the title of Chapter of the Year four times in the last 10 years!
How did we do it? Our innovative and diverse board brings out-of-the-box ideas to the table to further our mission in support of the First Amendment and educating journalists, from elementary school to retirement. And we don’t just do sit-down panels—we’ve hosted workshops, mixers, mock press conferences, brought our drone to newsrooms and classrooms, Fake News Game Shows, speed Scrabble, and even helped budding journalists in fourth grade.
To serve on the board, you must:
- Be a member of the Society of Professional Journalists in good standing (not a member yet? Join!)
- Attend our board meetings, which are hosted every other month, either in person or virtually. Our bylaws state that a member who misses three meetings in a row can be voted off the board.
- Have a passion for journalism—our board members have been in print, digital, television, radio, freelancers, journalism/media teachers, retired journalists, college students, First Amendment advocates and more!
Positions on the board:
- Past-president (not an elected post)
- Vice President
- Vice President of Programming
- Vice President of Membership
- Board of directors (six positions)
- Student representative
The chapter’s annual election meeting is scheduled for the evening of Saturday, July 20, 2019 following the Sunshine State Awards ceremony in Fort Lauderdale. Election shall be by simple majority vote of eligible chapter members. All chapter members in good standing are welcome to vote by in-person ballot at the election.
If you would like to run for a position on the board, we’d love to hear from you. Email SPJ Florida President Christiana Lilly with your intention to run, a short bio, and headshot by July 13.