Run for a spot on the 2022-2023 SPJ Florida Board
It’s almost time for SPJ Florida to host its annual board elections — and we want you to run. Our programming and advocacy has earned us the title of Society of Professional Journalists’ Chapter of the Year seven times since 2010!
How do we do it? We like to get creative and steer from the norm, from our lauded Fake News Game Shows and lively networking events to partnering with our fellow journalism groups to enhance diversity and leadership in the newsroom.
We also advocate for journalists (including our ongoing Hand Up Fund for laid off/furloughed journalists) and the First Amendment, as well as lending a helping hand to budding journalists with our college scholarships and high school newsroom grant.
We’ve got some pretty cool t-shirts, too.
If protecting the Fourth Estate is your calling, join us!
To serve on the board, you must:
- Be a member of the Society of Professional Journalists in good standing (not a member yet? Join!)
- Attend our board meetings, which are hosted every other month, either in person or virtually. Our bylaws state that a member who misses three meetings in a row can be voted off the board.
- Have a passion for journalism — our board members have been in print, digital, television, radio, freelancers, journalism/media teachers, retired journalists, college students, First Amendment advocates and more.
Positions on the board:
- Past-president (not an elected post)
- Vice President
- Vice President of Programming
- Vice President of Membership
- Board of directors (six positions)
- Student representative
Details on the election, including the date and method for voting, will be announced soon. All chapter members in good standing are welcome to run and vote in the election.
If you would like to run for a position on the board, we’d love to hear from you. Email email@example.com with your intention to run, a short bio and headshot by Friday, June 24, 2022.