Planning a career in journalism?
SPJ Florida is giving $3,500 in scholarships.
Interested? Read on…
NEW For 2017: WE’RE GIVING AWAY MORE MONEY
To honor the fight for press freedom and support young Florida journalists,
we have added a second award.
First Place: $2,500 | Second Place: $1,000
For consideration, the applicant must meet the following minimum requirements:
- A Florida resident attending (or planning to attend) a Florida college or university
- A full-time student during the award period (Fall 2017) pursuing a career in journalism
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE by 11:59 PM on MONDAY, JUNE 5, 2017
Application must include the following:
- Scholarship Application
- Copy of Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Copies of all transcripts from institutions in which you have taken courses
- An essay of up to 500 words about your career goals and reasons for choosing the profession
- At least one letter of recommendation
- Any other supporting documentation-such as, resume, relevant coursework, samples of your abilities, accomplishments, etc.
Applications will be reviewed and selected by the SPJ Florida Scholarship Committee. Scholarships are to be used the following semester of school. The winners will be announced by Monday, July 10, 2017.
Why are we doing this?
The Florida Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists was founded in 1946 as the Greater Miami Chapter of Sigma Delta Chi to associate journalists of talent, truth and energy for good fellowship; to assist members in acquiring the noblest principles of journalism; to advance the standard of journalism by fostering a higher ethical code, thus increasing its value as an uplifting social agency; to encourage diversity among journalists; and to speak out on issues concerning freedoms of press and speech and the free flow of information.
The chapter sponsors the annual Sunshine State Awards competition, open to all print, broadcast and online journalists in the state of Florida. The competition recognizes quality journalism in the best tradition of our profession. Proceeds help to fund an annual scholarship award to area college students who demonstrate outstanding talent, character and merit in pursuit of a career in journalism.
Questions: Email Scholarship Committee chairwoman,
Christiana Lilly at email@example.com.