Planning a career in journalism?
SPJ Florida would like to give you a $2,500 scholarship.
Interested? Read on…
For consideration, the applicant must meet the following minimum requirements:
- A Florida resident attending (or planning to attend) a Florida college or university
- A full-time student during the award period (Fall 2016) pursuing a career in journalism
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
APPLICATIONS FOR THIS SCHOLARSHIP ARE NO LONGER BEING ACCEPTED
Application must include the following:
- Scholarship Application
- Copy of Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Copies of all transcripts from institutions in which you have taken courses
- An essay of up to 500 words about your career goals and reasons for choosing the profession
- At least one letter of recommendation
- Any other supporting documentation-such as, resume, relevant coursework, samples of your abilities, accomplishments, etc.
Applications will be reviewed and selection made by the SPJ Florida Pro Scholarship Committee. The winner will be awarded a $2,500 scholarship to be used the following semester (Fall 2016) of school. The winner will be announced by Friday, July 1, 2016.
Meet our 2015 Scholarship Winner, Rachel Wang.
Why are we doing this?
The Florida Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists was founded in 1946 as the Greater Miami Chapter of Sigma Delta Chi to associate journalists of talent, truth and energy for good fellowship; to assist members in acquiring the noblest principles of journalism; to advance the standard of journalism by fostering a higher ethical code, thus increasing its value as an uplifting social agency; to encourage diversity among journalists; and to speak out on issues concerning freedoms of press and speech and the free flow of information.
The chapter sponsors the annual Sunshine State Awards competition, open to all print, broadcast and online journalists in the state of Florida. The competition recognizes quality journalism in the best tradition of our profession. Proceeds help to fund an annual scholarship award to area college students who demonstrate outstanding talent, character and merit in pursuit of a career in journalism.
Questions: Email Scholarship Committee chairwoman,
Christiana Lilly at firstname.lastname@example.org.